Benitses Village - the place to be in Corfu!
Between sea and mountain, Benitses or Benitsa as locals called it, is true graphic village located near (approx. 11km) the island's capital, Corfu town. Over the years Benitses turned out from a traditional fishing village to a contemporary tourist resort with well infrastructure without lacking its beauty and authenticity. Maybe, it is the reason why many travelers choose Benitses every year to spend their holidays.
Besides the numerous walkways for hiking, Benitses is widely known for its beach with clean and crystal waters. It has also been awarded with the Blue Flag award by the European Union, a prestigious, international award scheme which acts as a guarantee that the beach is one of the best in the world. Moreover the Blue Flag award ensures that the beach of Benitses has achieved the highest quality in water, facilities, safety, environmental education and management. At Benitses beach the visitors can have many water sports.
Benitses is an exciting place. Besides its wonderful beach, the visitors are able to do various activities from entertainment for leisure, to sightseeing for cultural enrichment. At the center of the village you can find numerous restaurants and taverns with several cuisines where you can choose depending on your preference. Moreover you can have a drink in one of the sea-front bars. For those who are interest to experience the ancient monuments, they can visit at a short distance from Benitses the sources for the ancient Aqueduct, the imposing Achillion (the palace of Queen Sissy and King Kaiser), the ruins of Roman baths with their mosaic floors, the small church of Aghia Paraskevi (with the magnificent sea view) and the remarkable Maritime museum. This museum established in 1989 displaying exhibits from the exotic seas of Indian and Pacific oceans along with the ones from the Mediterranean Sea. In addition and old bridge can be found constructed by a German emperor, who used it to visit the beach when he stayed at Achillion Palace.
The village has ease access from Corfu town and other places of the island. The transportation can be made by public transportation (blue busses), by taxi or by rented vehicles (cars, scooters and atv's). There is also a small port for small yachts and boats.
Seek for nature's harmony at Benitses village...
You should also check:
- Cruises to Paxous Island, Sivota, Parga and Albania depart daily from the Benitses local port.
- In Benitses every year July 16th and 17th the locals celebrate the feast of Agias Marinis (Megalomartiros) which is a great religious event.
- Another great celebration (with no specific date) is the local feast "Panigiri tis Sardelas (sardine)".
For ferries from Igoumenitsa to Corfu, please call +30 26613 65200
For ferries from Italy to Corfu, please check greekferries.gr
- Buses from Benitses to Corfu running every hour and the nearest bus stop is 200 meters away.
- Nearest organized beach is only 200 meters away.
- Nearest super market for your shopping is 800 meters away.
- Restaurants, taverns, bars, water sports, marina, rent cars, bikes, motor boats, pharmacy, police station only 800 meters away.
- Corfu town 10 km, Casino 10 km, Golf 10 km, Corfu port 11 km.
- Achillion Palace of Kaiser (Queen Sissy) 1 km, Corfu Shell Museum 700 meters, Mouse island 4 km and Benitses village 1 km.